My kidney infection was confirmed on Sunday. I suspected it last Thursday when I saw how cloudy my urine sample was for the pre-op testing, and then on Saturday when I felt the pain starting in my side, but it took a few days for the culture to develop and the results to be documented.
The on-call urologist didn’t forward the prescription in time for me to start them on Sunday, or for me to pick them up before work on Monday, so I started them on Monday night.
My immediate fear has been that this infection might cause a delay, and I don’t think I can emotionally handle another wait. I’ve been okay as long as I’ve had a deadline to focus on, but now being just days away and having this looming over my head has wrecked me.
I received a follow-up call from the same urologist on Tuesday, informing me that they wanted me to do a new urine test on Friday. This morning, I called and asked if this could delay my surgery, and was assured by the pre-op nurse that with the right antibiotic, the infection could be clear in as little as 48 hours. She encouraged me to stay positive, and I tried.
However, a few hours later I received an email requesting that I get the urine test today instead, if possible. Panic kicked in again, as I would not reach the magical 48 hours until tonight.
To pee or not to pee? If I take the test too soon, the infection may still be present; wait too long, and the culture may not come back in time. Either way could cause a delayed surgery.
I chose to pee. My pee still looked a little cloudy, but it could have been the opaque specimen cup. I hope that if the infection is still present, it will at least show enough of an improvement for them to feel comfortable to move forward.
I also hope the answer comes soon. The wait is driving me crazy.